Three steps are needed to complete this badge:
- Find out how citizen scientists make observations, collect data and help scientists conduct scientific research
- Do 3 citizen science activities: Make observations about your environment, create a community field guide and a SciStarter project
(You can earn the Think Like a… badge after step 2. Complete Step 3 to make this a Journey Set)
- Plan a Take Action project that helps others. If you’re a Girl Scout volunteer, go to Volunteer Toolkit for complete meeting plans and activity instructions.
(Also get a Take Action Badge after completing Step 3 to make this a Journey Set)
Note – Please see our Affiliations page to know if any of the links on The Badge Archive benefit the website in anyway.
- Official GSUSA material available in Girl Scout Shop online
- Official badge is available in Girl Scout Shop online
or look for your local shop to save on shipping.
Troop Meeting Ideas
- Slideshow on Google Docs (Show 1, Show 2, and Show 3) from GSCI
- PDF Meeting Plan (Mtg 1, Mtg 2, Mtg 3, Mtg 4, Mtg 5, and Mtg 6) from GS Fairbanks
- Badge Blueprint from GS-HCC
At Home Individual Girls
Check out other badges that might work well with this badge when doing activities with multiple levels. These are simply suggestions and may take some creativity and extra steps to earn all the badges in various levels.
A Multi-Level Troop will need to do extra steps when earning different badges across levels. It depends on how many requirements overlap. Some will only have one or two matching requirements.
If there is no badge in a level, we suggest that a level earns a Fun Patch related to the rest of the badges instead of an official badge.
The Think Like a… Journey sets often have completely different project designated and cannot be done concurrently while with keeping the technical requirements. Many multi-level troop leaders will pick the level that is appropriate or interesting for their troop. The concept of doing the projects is typically the same for all levels, just that the projects increase in difficulty for each level of growth. When using this technique, you might find one project from Brownie, and one from Junior or just pick one level works for your troop. It is not technically the correct way to do so but works very well when you have a multi-level troop that needs a journey done together.
Below is a list of what exactly is different in each level for the technical requirements for each level. Leaders can choose what projects to do in order for all levels to at least hit all the technical requirements for their level to earn their badge.
- Daisy – Daisy Think Like A Citizen Scientist – do hands-on activities to learn how to make observations and collect data
- Brownie – Brownie Think Like a Citizen Science – 2 observation games and a SciStarter project
- Junior – Junior Think Like a Citizen Scientist – 2 observation games and a SciStarter project
- Cadette – Cadette Think Like a Citizen Scientist – make observations about your environment, create a community field guide and a SciStarter project
- Senior – Senior Think Like a Citizen Scientist – make observations about your environment, design a way to test a hypothesis and a SciStarter project
- Ambassador – Ambassador Think Like a Citizen Scientist – 3 observation sessions of a citizen science project from SciStarter and collect data from you community
This badge can go where #21, #22, or #26 is stated on the GSUSA Uniform Guide.
The Think Like a… badges can be placed without the Take Action badge for an incomplete journey and the Take Action badge added next to it later. There is no specific placement or order for these two badges, they just need to be next to each other to show a completed Journey.
The badge can also go where #14 is stated on the GSUSA Uniform Guide if no Take Action badge is planned to get to turn it into a Journey.
(Note – Badges and pins on a sash simply go in order (top of sash to bottom of sash) of Identification badges, bridging badge, pins, journeys, and other badges. Anything that does not fit on the front can be placed on the back of the sash. Sashes will not hold a lot of badges and vests are recommended if you plan to earn badges.)
Find out how you can support The Badge Archive!
Return to the Cadette Badge List.