Released in 2011.
The Brownie Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting page has the information on when all badges were released.
Five steps are needed to complete this badge:
- Draw a bug poster
- Try a bug craft
- See bugs in action
- Explore bug homes
- Take a bug field trip
Note – Please see our Affiliations page to know if any of the links on The Badge Archive benefit the website in anyway.
- Leader Guide available in Girl Scout Shop online
- Official badge is available in Girl Scout Shop online
or look for your local shop to save on shipping.
- PDF Booklet from a public document storage site
Troop Meeting Ideas
- Webpage at Creating Butterflies
- Webpage at DS Brownie Girl Scouts
- Webpage at Earn Brownie Try-Its Blog
- Webpage at Girl Scout Wiki
- Downloadable Content at Teachers Pay Teachers for Growing Girl Scout Helpers
- Slideshow on Google Docs from GSCI
- Slideshow PDF from GSEP
- PDF Meeting Plan (Mtg 1 and Mtg 2) from GSRV (River Valley)
- Downloadable Content on Etsy from On My Honor Downloads
- Webpage from Scouts Honor Wiki
At Home Individual Girls
- Instructions (1-4 of 4 posts) from GSCO Blog
- PDF and accompanying YouTube video from GSCWM
- Instructions under “Outdoor” from GSEOK
- PDF from GSHPA
- PDF from GSKentuckiana (not all badges they have are full steps)
- PDF from GSKSMO at Home (Archived Original At Home Program)
- PDF from GSKSMO Virtual (New At Home Program)
- YouTube Video from GSLP
- PDF from GSofCT
- Videos Under “Badge Work & Awards” in “Brownie” with Follow-Up Steps from GSSGC
- Instructions Under “Brownies” from GSSI
- Instructions under “Brownies” from GSSSC
- PDF from GS-TOP
- PDF from GSVSC
Check out other badges that might work well with this badge when doing activities with multiple levels. These are simply suggestions and may take some creativity and extra steps to earn all the badges in various levels.
A Multi-Level Troop will need to do extra steps when earning different badges across levels. It depends on how many requirements overlap. Some will only have one or two matching requirements.
If there is no badge in a level, we suggest that a level earns a Fun Patch related to the rest of the badges instead of an official badge.
- Daisy – Welcome to the Daisy Flower Garden Journey – Plant seeds and TAP
- Brownie – Bugs – Add observing and learning about bugs into the garden theme of the others
- Junior – Gardener – plant seeds, visit a garden, plan a garden (Flowers does not correlate)
- Cadette – Trees – make sure garden visit includes trees, design treehouse, plant a tree
- Senior – Sow What Journey – Farming information and TAP
- Ambassador – Fun Patch (Water does not correlate)
Uniform Vest Placement
This badge should go where #10 is stated on the GSUSA Uniform Guide.
(Note – Badges and pins on a sash simply go in order (top of sash to bottom of sash) of Identification badges, bridging badge, pins, journeys, and other badges. Anything that does not fit on the front can be placed on the back of the sash. Sashes will not hold a lot of badges and vests are recommended if you plan to earn badges.)
Find out how you can support The Badge Archive!
Return to the Brownie Badge List.