At Home – Step 1 of 4
- Family Communication Plan
First, Read the Information You Need:
When something happens and you need help, who do you call?
It probably depends on the emergency.
- If there was a fire, you call 911.
- If there was a flood, you’d probably call your parents first, if they aren’t already there.
- If a hurricane is heading your way, and you need to evacuate, you call whoever you plan to stay with and make sure they are ready for you.
- If there was a tornado or earthquake, you don’t call anyone, just get to a safe place. After it’s over you can call for help, and that would depend on the damage done.
When something happens, where do you go?
Again, it depends on the emergency.
- If the building is on fire, you get out.
- If there’s extreme weather outside, you stay inside.
- If a tornado or earthquake occur, you need a specific place inside to be the safest.
- If a hurricane is heading your way and the government says you need to evacuate, you need someplace outside of the hurricane zone to go.
If something happens to your parents, do you know who will be able to take care of you until your parents are available?
- If you are at home, is there a neighbor you can run to?
- If you are at school, who would the school call if they can’t reach your parents?
- If you are out in public, and something happens to your parents, who do you ask the police to call and take care of you until your parents are available again?
Regardless of what the situation is, knowing who to call for help and where to go to be safe is important. When the emergency happens, it’s hard to think. Plan ahead so you don’t have to think, you just do it.
Second, Chose One Option to Complete:
|Option 1:Cover the Basics||Option 2:Get More Detailed|
|Family Reunification Planning Sheet |
Download the Family Planning Sheet linked above and work with your parents to fill out all the areas. Make sure you know who you need to keep safe, where to go to be safe, and who to call.
|Grab your parent. Parents fill out one sheet and you fill out the other. |
Daisies stop here. You’ve earned the Communication Rocker!
Brownies, Juniors, Cadettes, Seniors, Ambassadors, and Adults, go to Step 2.
Go back to Communication Rocker main page.
Return to Be Prepared, Not Scared main page