(Year 1 – Original Financial Literacy Badge – Retired)
Released in 2011. RETIRED in 2022 – The badge is no longer in production, although the requirements are still sold at GSUSA shops. GSUSA stores will only sell this badge until their original stock runs out. My Money Choices replaced Making Choices leaf as the new Year 1 Financial Literacy Badge.
The Daisy Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting page has the information on when all badges were released.
Three steps are needed to complete this badge:
- Find out the difference between needs and wants
- Try setting a goal to save for what she wants
- Help others with what they need and want
Note – Please see our Affiliations page to know if any of the links on The Badge Archive benefit the website in anyway.
- Leader Guide available in Girl Scout Shop online
- Official badge is NO LONGER available in Girl Scout Shop online (as of Nov 2022)
or you can check for your local shop to see if they still have any left in stock
Troop Meeting Ideas
- Webpage at Bluehouse School
- Webpage at daisyactivities.blogspot.com
- Webpage at Girl Scout Wiki
- Downloadable Content at Teachers Pay Teachers for Growing Girl Scout Helpers
- PDF Meeting Plan from GSRV (River Valley)
- Workbook for all 4 leaves fromLeader Connecting Leaders
- Webpage from Scouts Honor Wiki
- Webpage from Stephanie Erickson
At Home Individual Girls
- PDF from Accounting & Financial Women’s Alliance
- Website from Federal Reserve bank of St. Louis
- YouTube video from GSCWM
- PDF from GSGCNWI (only all steps if stated completed at end of document)
- Google Classroom link from GSHS
- PDF from GSKSMO at Home (Archived Original At Home Program)
- PDF with accompanying YouTube video from GSMidTN
- PDF (multiple badges) from GSOC
- PDF from GSSEF
- YouTube video 1 and YouTube video 2 from GSVSC
- PDF from GSWestOK
- No Multi-level Matches available as this badge is retired.
Uniform Vest Placement
Retired Financial Literacy leaves should go where #9 is stated on the GSUSA Uniform Guide.
Note – New leaders and parents need to be aware that the leaves under the petals on all uniform guides have been retired (Cookie Business leaves in summer of 2021 and Financial Literacy leaves in summer of 2022). Their replacements are the flower shaped badges and go where #10 indicates. You no longer need to save room for the leaves when placing petals, but you can use that space for extra flower shaped badges.
Leaves can still be earned and worn but finding leaf badges is difficult to do since GSUSA is no longer making them and only sold until their current stock ran out.
Find out how you can support The Badge Archive!
Return to the Daisy Badge List.