(Part of Brownie Outdoor Journey Set)
Released in 2011. Can be earned as a single badge or as part of the Brownie Outdoor Journey set.
The Brownie Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting page has the information on when all badges were released.
Five steps are needed to complete this badge:
- Decide where to go
- Try out a hiking skill
- Pick the right gear
- Pack a snack for energy
- Go on your hike!
Note – Please see our Affiliations page to know if any of the links on The Badge Archive benefit the website in anyway.
- Leader Guide available in Girl Scout Shop online
(Part of 5 badge set)
- Official badge is available in Girl Scout Shop online
or look for your local shop to save on shipping.
- PDF Online Booklet from GSUSA Council
Troop Meeting Ideas
- Webpage at Bluehouse School
- Webpage at Creating Butterflies
- Webpage at DS Brownie Girl Scouts
- Webpage at Earn Brownie Try-Its Blog
- Webpage at Girl Scout Wiki
- Badge Blueprint from GS-HCC
- PDF Meeting Plan from GSRV (River Valley)
- Blueprints for Troop Leaders from GSUSA
- GSUSA VTK – No links
Only Accessible through MyGS log-in on Council’s website
- Workbook fromLeader Connecting Leaders
- Webpage from Scouts Honor Wiki
At Home Individual Girls
- PDF from GSKentuckiana (not all badges they have are full steps)
- PDF with accompanying PDF of Trail Signs from GSofCT
- PDF from GSSEF
Check out other badges that might work well with this badge when doing activities with multiple levels. These are simply suggestions and may take some creativity and extra steps to earn all the badges in various levels.
A Multi-Level Troop will need to do extra steps when earning different badges across levels. It depends on how many requirements overlap. Some will only have one or two matching requirements.
If there is no badge in a level, we suggest that a level earns a Fun Patch related to the rest of the badges instead of an official badge.
- Daisy – Fun Patch (Eco Learner does not correlate)
- Brownie – Hiker (Eco Friend does not correlate)
- Junior – Eco Camper
- Cadette – Eco Trekker
- Senior – Fun Patch (Eco Explorer does not correlate)
- Ambassador – Fun Patch (Eco Advocate does not correlate)
Uniform Vest Placement
This badge should go where #17 is stated on the GSUSA Uniform Guide. as it is part of the Brownie Outdoor Journey set.
It is an option to put this badge where #10 is stated on the GSUSA Uniform Guide, when not intending to earn the Outdoor Journey, at all in the 2 years as a Brownie Girl Scout. However, placing it where #17 is often preferred to free up space for other skill-based badges where #10 is as well as to allow the option of earning the full Journey later without having to move the badge later.
The Outdoor Journey does not have to be in a specific order, or placement. Just place all 4 badges in the same area together. You can place badges as you earn them, you do not have to wait until all 4 badges are earned. If you never earn all 4 badges, these can still be placed on the Journey side of the vest.
(Note – Badges and pins on a sash simply go in order (top of sash to bottom of sash) of Identification badges, bridging badge, pins, journeys, and other badges. Anything that does not fit on the front can be placed on the back of the sash. Sashes will not hold a lot of badges and vests are recommended if you plan to earn badges.)
Find out how you can support The Badge Archive!
Return to the Brownie Badge List.